Wayne Garner papers
Scope and Contents note
The Wayne Garner political collection consists of papers accumulated during his time serving as a state representative for Carrollton and Carroll County. Included are files on correctional institutions and police, local education and sales taxes, and healthcare.
- Garner, Joseph Wayne, 1951- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to all users; no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use note
As stipulated by United States Copyright Law
Joseph Wayne Garner (b. 8 May 1951, Fulton Co., Ga.) attended West Georgia College in the late 1960s. Garner served Carrollton, Douglasville and other areas of the 30th District in the State Senate from 1980 until 1994, during which time he made a bid for, and then withdrew from, the race for Lieutenant Governor of Georgia (1990) and became President Pro Tempore of the State Senate (1993). In 1995, Garner served as Chair of the State Board of Pardons & Paroles and from 1996 to 1998 he was head of the Georgia Department of Corrections. He is a local businessman in several west Georgia communities as well as having served as mayor of Carrollton since 2003.
1.68 Linear feet (4 boxes)
These are the papers of former Georgia Representative Wayne Garner who served the 30th District from 1980 until 1994. This collection includes files primarily concerning the fields of education, healthcare, and corrections institutions.
Arranged alphabetically by file title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Donated by Wayne Garner, 14 April 1998.
Processing Information note
Processed by Jason Kennedy, March 2013.
- Carroll County (Ga.) -- History
- Carrollton (Ga.) -- History
- Correctional institutions -- Georgia
- Douglas County (Ga.) -- History
- Douglasville (Ga.) -- History
- Garner, Joseph Wayne, 1951- -- Archives
- Georgia -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Georgia. General Assembly. House of Representatives
- Legislators -- Georgia
- Villa Rica (Ga.)--History.
- Finding Aid to the Wayne Garner papers, 1980-1994 POL-0021
- Finding aid prepared by Written by Jason Kennedy, March 2013
- © 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Finding aid converted with funds from a UWG FY14 Presidential Assistance Grant.