Textile Mill photographs
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains photographs from textile mills in the west Georgia region, including the Arrow Shirt Company.
- Arrow Shirt Company. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to all users; no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use note
Rights have been transferred to the University of West Georgia.
In 1929, G. E. Bell, J. A. Mandeville, and J. H. Schoolfield formed Bremen Mills Incorporated, whose main specialty was making Arrow shirts. In 1931 Bremen Mills closed, but was reopened as a subsidy of Cluett Peabody & Co., a national retailer of men’s shirts, in 1933. The Arrow Shirt Company plant was built in 1945 and managed by G. E. Bell. Over the course of the following years, the company expanded and became rivals with its competitor Sewell Manufacturing Company. The Arrow Shirt plant remained in operation until 1990 when all the Arrow Shirt plants were closed in the area.
0.14 Linear feet (1 map folder)
Photographs of textile mills and their employees throughout the west Georgia region.
Arranged alphabetically by file title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Purchased from Recycling the Past Antiques in Newnan, Georgia. These were purchased on two separate occasions: one being November 2014 and the other being December 2014.
Processing Information note
Processed by Candice Larson in 2015
- Guide to the Textile Mill photographs LH-0087
- Finding aid prepared by Candice Larson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English